Hugh Mercer Apothecary was a pharmacy founded by Hugh Mercer in the mid 18th century. Mercer was a doctor who fled Scotland after the Battle of Culloden. He traveled to Pennsylvania, where he met Colonel George Washington during the French and Indian War and later moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia on Washington’s advice to practice medicine and operate an Apothecary.
The building that housed the apothecary has been restored by Preservation Virginia (formerly known as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities) to demonstrate 18th Century medical treatments. It also includes a small exhibit on Mercer’s life and contributions to the American Revolutionary War. In mid-2012, Preseravation Virginia signed an agreement passing ownership to the “Washington Heritage Museums” group beginning no later than 2013. The museum is located at 1020 Caroline Street in Fredericksburg, Virginia. -Wikipedia
Bray Creek Nov 2013